AP Art Portfolio Highlight

Stephanie Ochoa, Staff Writer

May is the month where various students begin to take their AP exams. It is no different for AP Studio Art students, however, students do not take an exam, rather, they complete a portfolio of art pieces to be critiqued on their mediums, techniques, and neatness.

This editorial will cover the portfolios of three students taking the course this year and demonstrate

3 of their pieces!

Student 1 – Cassidy Capolete

Work 1

This piece was made using Liquitex acrylic paint and alcohol based markers on a canvas. The canvas’s dimensions are 16 by 12 inches. The piece covers the stress and pressure

of keeping track of all the calories in food and the suffocating emotion that follows it.

Work 2

This piece is made from acrylic paint and gouache on a 16 by 12 canvas. The piece has vibrant colors that reflect the dehumanization of one’s body that is caused by body dysphoria and dissociation.

Work 3

This piece was created using acrylic paint and alcohol markers on a 12 by 12 stretched canvas that portrays the visualization of food to a person with an eating disorder; the mind convinces the person to believe that food is garbage.

Work 4

This piece was made from oil paint on a 12 by 16 canvas and it showcases the desire to run from one’s body when struggling with body dysphoria.

Work 5

This piece was created with oil paints on a 9 by 12 canvas and it portrays the possession of the mind by intrusive and demonizing thoughts.

Work 6

This piece was made with oil paints on a 24 by 18 canvas and it demonstrates a capitalistic machine ripping away at the body and its confidence.

Work 7

This piece was made with acrylic paints and color pencils on a 16 by 20 canvas and it symbolizes how different people struggle with their body insecurities.

Work 8

This piece was created with acrylic paints on canvas and it demonstrates the longing to be the person one was prior to their loss of innocence.

Work 9

This piece was made with acrylic paint and alcohol based markers and it portrays how music helps escape the anxiety caused by time.

Work 10

This piece is a closer shot of the painting in the fourth piece.

Work 11

This piece is a closer shot of the sixth piece.

Work 12

This piece is a closer shot of the third piece.

Work 13

This piece is a closer shot of the seventh piece.

Work 14

This piece is drawn on paper by pencil and is an observation study of a school peer and is 11 by 8 inches.

Work 15

This piece was made from oil paints on canvas and is a study on skin to enhance their craft for future projects.

Work 16

This piece was painted with acrylic paints on a 12 by 15 canvas and is a study of a carnation and a humming bird.

Work 17

This piece was painted using acrylic paints on a 12 by 18 canvas and acts as a landscape study of an picture taken in Alaska.

Student 2 – Keiry Rivera

Work 1

This piece was made with watercolor and is 12 by 9 paper. The piece captivates traditional male clothing in El Salvador, along with traditional pottery and plants.

Work 2

This piece was painted on a 14 by 9 paper using water color and acrylic to create the image of the national flower of El Salvador.

Work 3

This piece was created using watercolor on a 18 by 12 paper and it captivates the clothing of a traditional El Salvadoran woman who is carrying materials necessary for life.

Work 4

This piece was made using acrylic paints and watercolor on a 14 by 10 paper to illustrate the beauty of nature regardless of how it is being captivated either from a camera or from the human eye.

Work 5

This piece was created using acrylic paints and watercolors on a 8 by 10 canvas demonstrating the map of El Salvador on the dress of the women  with the various bright colors that portrays the liveliness of El Salvador.

Work 6

This piece was created using watercolor and acrylic paint on a 8 by 10 paper and it creates a beautiful imagine captivating El Salvador’s most famous volcano, El

Boqueron.

Work 7

This piece was made using watercolor and acrylic paint on a 8 by 10 paper capturing the beautiful sunsets in El Salvador.

Work 8

This piece was made using watercolor and acrylic paint on a 8 by 10 canvas demonstrating the nation pride of El Salvador, showing a women wave the flags.

Work 9

This piece illustrated the traditional desert Minutas which are typically sold on the beach, the piece was made using watercolors and acrylic paints on 8 by 10 paper.

Work 10

This piece was made using acrylic paint and watercolors on a 8 by 10 paper and it captures another beautiful sunset at a beach in El Salvador.

Work 11

This piece was created using watercolors and acrylic paint on a 8 by 10 paper that demonstrates an illustration of one of the most popular desserts in El Salvador, roast corn.

Work 12

This piece was painted using acrylic paint on a 12 by 10 canvas and is an observation of flowers found in the artist’s grandfother’s residence in El Salvador.

Work 13

This piece was made using watercolor on a 11 by 8 paper and is an illustration of one of the most popular foods in El Salvador, pupusas.

Work 14

This piece was painted using acrylic paint on a 12 by 12 canvas capturing a violent storm on an ocean.

Work 15

This piece was made using watercolor on a 12 by 8 paper and is a image of a turquoise-brown motmot, which is the national bird of El Salvador.

Student 3 – Adriana Mejia

Work 1

This piece was painted on a 14 by 1o canvas using acrylic paint and demonstrates the negative effects of human consumption and how it affects the environment.

Work 2

This piece was made using acrylic paint on a 8 by 10 canvas, showing the negative impacts on the environment and how it may affect the future.

Work 3

This piece is made using mixed media acrylic and collage on a 14 by 10 canvas to demonstrate corporations prioritizing money over the actual consumers.

Work 4

This piece was painted using acrylic paint on a 8 by 10 canvas and it shows the reality of capitalism over cities.

Work 5

This piece was made using acrylic paint on an 8 by 8 canvas portraying the rotting food that is left behind by the disposal of wasted food.

Work 6

This piece is a closer shot of work 1.

Work 7

This piece is a closer shot of work 2.

Work 8

This piece is a closer shot of the right side of work 2.

Work 9

This piece is a closer shot of work 3.

Work 10

This piece is another closer shot of work 3.

Work 11

This piece is a collage piece on a 11 by 4 canvas and demonstrates the overbearing cost of the educational system and being only about money.

Work 12

This piece is a closer shot of work 11.

Work 13

This piece is made using different magazine food catalogues, also using color pencils and alcohol markers on an 8 by 10 paper.

Work 14

This piece is made using alcohol markers and clothing magazine

catalogues on a 8 by 10 paper to demonstrate how quickly people move along with clothing trends without thinking of all the wasted clothing along the way.

Work 15

This piece was made using alcohol markers and mixed media using cut outs of clothing magazine catalogues to portray the amount of wasted clothing that is not being repurposed and just ends up in landfills.

Work 16

This piece was painted using acrylic paints on 12 by 12 canvas and is a recreation of Vincent Van Gogh’s work Almond Blossoms.

Work 17

This piece was drawn on a 11 by 4 paper using graphite of a bamboo plant to access the skill level of the artist.