The Lodi Rampage

See the Rainbow

It’s everyone’s dream to see a rainbow after a storm, but Ms. Press’s students, however, witnessed a spectacular result in their capillary action experiment. In her period eight Honors Biology class, they have created a rainbow of colors through this experiment, which they are pictured standing behind. While studying the characteristics of water, the students learned that cohesion (water molecules being drawn together) and adhesion (water molecules being attracted to the sides of its container) working together is called capillary action. This is the process that allows plants to take in water through their roots and transport it throughout the plant. Capillary action draws water through small spaces. In order to produce this effect, the students took seven beakers, filled the beaker one, three, and seven halfway with water and placed red, blue, and yellow food coloring in them, in a particular order. The next step was to take folded paper towel strips and put one end in a beaker and the other end in the beaker next to it. As colored water was being drawn up through the small spaces in the paper towel to its adjacent beaker, the water started to fill the empty beaker from the both sides, thereby mixing the colors together and producing the rainbow effect. At the end of the day, these students got to experience a rainbow effect that added some color into their day!

About the Writer
Gabriella Buttacavole, Writer

Q: What's your favorite food and least favorite food? Would you switch them for a day for $1000.

A: I love my mom's spaghetti and I hate mushrooms....

• See the Rainbow

2018-2019

Halloween Spirit

• See the Rainbow

2018-2019

Escape the Night Filled with Fright

• See the Rainbow

2018-2019

What’s in the Box: y=mx+bscared

• See the Rainbow

2018-2019

Sound: The Heart of Horror

• See the Rainbow

2018-2019

There’s Pep in Lodi’s Step

• See the Rainbow

2018-2019

The Icons of Horror

• See the Rainbow

2018-2019

No Guts, No Glory

• See the Rainbow

2018-2019

K-pop: Mistreatment and Influence

• See the Rainbow

2018-2019

Cheap Scares

• See the Rainbow

2018-2019

Falling Out of the Season!