Interns: They’ll Be There for You

This year the guidance department has added new interns to the team. All interns are ready to assist you with your needs, and they’ll be there for you, guaranteed. If you are struggling with college preparation, the guidance interns are here for that very reason and much more. Each intern possesses exceptional qualities in order to help you during your most crucial times.  Here’s a way to learn more about the interns and all the things they do for you, at LHS.

Mr. Mehan:

Q:What do you like to do in your spare time?In my spare time I like to play tennis (singles), travel to my lake house in Michigan, spend time with family and friends, and read. I’m an avid reader who always enjoys getting my hands on any good book I could get. I’ve always loved history and I’m a counseling major so books related to those content areas are a plus in my book.
Q:What college did you attend and what was your major?I first attended the County College of Morris in Randolph, N.J. Before transferring to Centenary University in Hackettstown, N.J where I graduated from college with an undergraduate degree in psychology. I stayed at Centenary to further my education where I’m currently in the process of finishing up my last year of graduate school majoring in clinical and school counseling.
Q: How did you hear about the internship at LHS? Before becoming an intern in Lodi, I was a substitute teacher at my high school Alma mater. One of the guidance counselors who worked there used to be a social studies teacher here at LHS many years ago (you used to have to be a teacher before becoming a guidance counselor). When I told him that I was in the process of searching for an internship he had asked me if I’d be interested in earning my hours in Lodi. Upon expressing my interest in Lodi he was nice enough to call up the director of guidance, Mrs. Orosz, on my behalf to see if Lodi was accepting any new interns for the following school year. From there an interview date and time was arranged between Mrs. Orosz and myself and the rest is history. I’m forever thankful to my good friend back in my hometown for going out of his way for me and to both Ms. Orosz and Mrs. Loiola for taking me on as an intern here in Lodi.
Q:How has the internship been so far? Internship has been one of the best experiences of my life so far. I’m learning so much in such a short period of time. It has felt really good to build on the material I learned from my school counseling practicums during my first year of graduate school and to take that knowledge many steps further. I loved working with adolescents for four years as a substitute teacher and my first few weeks here at LHS have only solidified my resolve to continue working with them.
Q:Who do you look up to or consider your role model? As far as role models are concerned, I without any doubt say my mom and my maternal grandmother. Without them I would not only be a nobody in this world but I would also not be the kind and compassionate man I’ve become through their gentle, yet firm and disciplined, unconditional love.Q:What is one motto you would tell a student that is having a bad day? This is a quote I try to remember when I’m having a bad day for whatever reason(s): “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall” (Confucius). It’s more a quote than a motto but it helps me so perhaps it could help some students having bad days, too.

Q:What made you decide that you would like to be a counselor?  I was originally going to be a heart surgeon. As time at my community college went by and after volunteering in the E.R. of a hospital for a year I began to realize that medicine wasn’t for me. I switched my major to psychology after taking two psychology courses as electives and realizing that working in the mental health field would make me both happy and fulfilled for personal reasons too long to list here. When I started subbing in my old high school I had more and more time to interact with the guidance counselors than I had as a student and came to appreciate the work that they do. So in addition to my looking forward to being a therapist I also look forward to many happy and productive years as a school counselor in the not too distant future.

Ms. Meistrich

Q:What do you like to do in your spare time?I love to take walks outside on beautiful sunny days (especially in the fall!), spend time with friends, learn new things, and bake cupcakes!
Q:What college did you attend and what was your major? For my undergraduate degree I went to Rider University where I majored in Psychology.  I then attended Montclair State University for my Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling.  Now I am currently back at MSU for my certificate to become a School Counselor.

Q: How did you hear about the internship at LHS? I pass by LHS often so when it was time for me to complete my internship I did some research and got in contact to find out more!
Q:How has the internship been so far? Internship has been great so far!  Everyone in the Guidance Department is very supportive and helpful –A great group to work with and learn from.  I’m excited to meet more of the students and learn from them as well!
Q:Who do you look up to or consider your role model? There is a woman I work with in my current job who has really been an inspiration and mentor.  She is everything I see myself wanting to be in my own career—smart, supportive, and courageous.  She presents each decision she makes with integrity and fairness.  She holds high expectations for those around her but also offers support and recognition for a job well done.  It is not easy to practice being a leader but my role model does this with class.  She knows who she is and what she values and she does not let anything hold her back!
Q:What is one motto you would tell a student that is having a bad day? “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning but anyone can start from now and make a new ending”
Q:What made you decide that you would like to be a counselor? My dream is to work in a supportive, team environment where I can help others create goals and reach for their dreams.  Everyone has dreams but being a counselor gives me the opportunity to help others bring their dreams into reality by discussing not only what their dream is but how I can help the individual get there and make it happen.  Seeing the progress of anyone I assist and seeing how appreciative they are makes it all worthwhile and keeps me feeling fulfilled. “It’s a beautiful thing when a career and passion come together.”

Ms. Lonsdale

Q:What do you like to do in your spare time? In my spare time I like to go to the beach, read, and catch up on tv shows.

Q:What college did you attend and what was your major? I attended LaSalle University as a Communication Major.

Q: How did you hear about the internship at LHS? I live in Hasbrouck Heights, and I coach a team in Lodi. I came to the high school asking to intern here.

Q:How has the internship been so far?It’s been amazing! I’m learning so much.

Q:Who do you look up to or consider your role model? Personally I look up to my sister; when it comes to counseling, I look up to all the counselors in the office.

Q:What is one motto you would tell a student that is having a bad day? “Tomorrow’s a new day.”

Q:What made you decide that you would like to be a counselor? I love helping people, and guiding students in fulfilling their potential.